Friday, October 17, 2008

Just another day... 17/10/08

"Homosexuality isn't a threat to our society... but our intolerance is".

Was munching away on my Subway sandwich when this title caught my attention. It's an article in my school's regular publication. As I bury myself into the article, I can't help agreeing with what the author as put forth in his argument.



"In a society as people-scarce as we are, we cannot afford to alienate and drive away those who do not fit into our narrow definitions of 'normal'. Growing up in this cosmopolitan, multicultural country, that is one thing we should know by now. Diversity is often quoted as the marker of a healthy society..."

I like the way the author draws the attention to the fact that individuals who do not conform to social norms, should not be viewed as outcasts or to be simply ousted. I'm not sure if the numbers of gay men or women are increasing but one thing for sure, they are becoming more and more visible. Though some might seek solace just by being in the 'closet', they will soon have to make a decision somewhere down the line.

The author clearly views homosexuals as normal individuals and seek to gather advocates to share his sentiments too. I acknowledge it can be difficult for most people to embrace the notion of 'gays', given their socialization in terms of religion, values, cultures etc... A paradigm shift in perspective is all that is needed and it is no easy feat as said. Perhaps, it is this act of acceptance which differentiates us from the Westerners, whom seem to have mastered the act of exercising equal human rights.

"It is not as easy for them as it is for you..." If you ever understand what this means...

Anyway, had a long day in school. Most of all, had a totally unproductive project meeting after almost 5 hours of lecture and tutorial. What kind of discussion when not all members were present? And it seems like there is an unequal distribution of work among the members which some have chosen to suffer in silence; I was one of them. Guess I have a 500 word report to churn out before the end of this weekend. Not to mention I have an online assignment due this coming Sunday. In summary, tonnes of work to be done.

I have concluded that I am someone who needs constant excitement and has no affinity towards monotony, especially in terms of relationship. I reckon I need to be less critical with actions taken or words spoken or even in the meanings which I had inferred without due justification. It only serves as a brewing pot for potential friction and misunderstandings as I have gathered. In summary, I've learnt...

The quest continues...

Another long day ahead and it is just getting started...

No comments: